We might have loved the long, hot summer and adored splashing in UK seas that feel warmer than the Med but global warming is nothing to celebrate. If we want the earth to thrive again, we all need to take steps to protect our environment. Going green doesn’t have to be expensive or time-consuming: here are seven savvy ways that you can save the planet.
- Call a plumber. That annoying dripping tap that you have? It has the potential to waste more than 300 litres of water every year. A local plumber can fix that leak as well as all of your other pesky plumbing niggles. While they’re there, get your boiler serviced to make sure that it is in tip top condition.
- Add a layer. At the risk of sounding like your grandmother, try putting on an extra layer of clothing instead of turning up the heating. You’ll see a difference in your heating bill and get to feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside, as well as out, because you’re helping to save the planet.
- Switch energy providers. We can choose between green and no-so-green. Make sure you make the right choice. There are a few truly eco-friendly energy suppliers in the UK and they are not necessarily more expensive than their fracking counterparts. By making wise choices today, you are helping to ensure that there is a tomorrow.
- Switch it off! Most of us are so used to using the standby button that we forget to turn anything off. Standby mode still uses energy. Save a fortune by switching things off at the plug – yes, that includes your tv, computer and games console!
- Insulate. Don’t just wrap yourself up warm, give your home a bit of TLC, too with energy-saving insulation. Contact a local company for a free quote.
- Install a water butt. This is a great way to save water and money by using harvested rainwater to water your garden.
- Double glazing. The days of ugly plastic double glazing are, thankfully, far behind us. There are plenty of options for environmentally aware double glazing these days, with plenty of style choices too. Double or triple glazing is an investment that will pay off in the future, as it helps to keep your home warm and reduce heating bills. Most local double-glazing companies will offer you a no-obligation consultation, so you have nothing to lose.