8th September 2017
Moving Home – Getting Organised
If you are planning on moving home, it is easy to get stressed about the task ahead of you. Getting a removal company can help to alleviate some of this stress, but being organised is the most important thing to help make the transition from your old home to your new one as smooth as possible.
Step One: Shop!
The first thing you need to do is stock up on packaging materials. Go to shops and supermarkets to see if they have any boxes for free, but you need to make sure they are heavy duty. The rest, you will probably have to buy.
- Bubble wrap – you can get giant rolls online – shop around for deals.
- Packing tape – buy at least twice as much as you think you need, and make sure you opt for quality (don’t just buy the cheapest).
- Old newspapers.
- Marker pens.
- Boxes – in a range of sizes (small, medium and large).
- Suitcases – make use of your suitcases to pack clothes.
Step Two: Slowly Start Packing
The difficulty when packing is knowing when to start. You don’t want to live in a shell for weeks on end, but neither do you want to have to do it all in a few days. It’s a good idea to start with seasonal items.
- Clothes – moving in summer? Pack all your winter clothes away in a suitcase. Conversely, if you are moving in the winter, pack away summer clothes and shoes.
- Cupboards – have a think about what you might need and pack away items you are unlikely to need within the next two months. If it’s the summer, don’t start packing away the barbeque things – there is nothing more irritating than unpacking boxes looking for what you need! Take the opportunity to have a good de-clutter – if something has been sitting in a cupboard, unused for months or even years, maybe it’s time to get rid of it?
As your moving date approaches, you can start packing more, leaving you with just the essentials (clothes and kitchen utensils). Make sure you pack methodically and label each box. Tape a sheet of A4 paper to the top of “random” boxes, with a list of its contents so you know where to find things. Label each box with:
- Contents e.g. bedding.
- Destination e.g. upstairs spare room.
By being as clear as possible with your labelling, you will make moving much easier – your friends and helpers or removers will know exactly where everything needs to go. You can do the same with furniture, too: clearly label items with easy-peel labels showing where they need to go.
Step Three: Moving Day
Think about your removal process and do your best to get things in place when the time comes to move. Which furniture/ boxes would you like to go first? Where possible, put these at a most accessible point. You can save lots of time on the day by putting as many boxes as possible as near to the front door as you can without blocking access.
Moving to a new house is an adventure and being organised can really help. If you are looking for a trustworthy removal company, Trust A Trader can help.
You can browse our older news stories below...