Looking for a better deal on your insurance? Get a quote
Become a registered trader - Join us

What type of tradesperson do I need to remove my gas fire & surround?

I’m looking to remove a gas fire and fire surround, fill hole and plaster. Can you advise which is the best trade to request as it involves a bit of gas engineering, electrical, building and plastering?

Answered by TrustATrader

For the safe removal of your gas fire, we recommend using a corgi registered gas fitter to make sure everything is closed off properly. Make sure you have a vent or air-brick in the closing of the fireplace to allow air to circulate between the room and the top of the chimney, via the flue/fireplace. This will stop moisture collecting in the soot and smoke deposits within them forming damp areas.

Boarding up the space left from the fire, shouldn't pose too many problems. You can use plasterboard which would be the easiest or brickwork to fill the hole. If you want a really good finish, you can use a plasterer to give your new room a professional finish.

In terms of which trades to use, apart from a corgi registered gas fitter, it depends on your budget. A general builder will be able to take out the surround and brick up the hole, and a plasterer will be able to finish off the room off to a high standard.

When contacting local gas fitters, it is worth asking what other services they provide as you may find that many of these companies have qualified multi trades working for them, so one company could do the work of a number of different trades, making organising the job alot easier on your behalf.

Not found the question you are looking for?

It's worth searching our archive of questions, but if you can't find what you're after then you can ask your own question and we'll do our best to help.