Looking for a better deal on your insurance? Get a quote
Become a registered trader - Join us

Home Extensions Part Three: The Right People for the Job

Home Extensions Part Three: The Right People for the Job

Extending your property is a serious investment, so you need to make sure that you put your home (and your money) in the hands of people you know you can trust.

Regardless of whether you need planning permission to undertake your project, you will have to comply with building regulations so the traders you choose will either need to be able to self-certify their work, or they will need to work with the local building control office to make sure that the work is appropriately certified. Failure to do this could leave your insurance policy invalid and can also lead to serious complications if and when you come to sell.

Finding an architect

If your project is on a smaller scale, then you may not need an architect; a skilled builder will be able to provide the advice that you need. However, if you are planning a larger scale project, or you want to consider all of the options available to you before embarking on the project, then it may be wise (or essential) to get an architect’s advice.

When you start speaking to architects, make sure that you give them as much information as possible about what you want to do and what you hope to gain from the work, as well as your overall budget. They should be able to help you to cost out your project more fully and can offer valuable insights and ideas that you may not have considered.

Architects are like houses; some may feel right, and others may not quite hit the mark. Speak to a couple of architects and see what kind of connection you feel. They need to understand you and your needs, and have the skills to make your vision come to life, within budget. Ask to see their portfolio; if you have friends who have had particularly amazing extensions, ask them who they used. To find a local architect that you can trust, check out our online directory.

Structural engineers

If you are planning on making structural changes to your property, you may need to involve a structural engineer. Your builder or architect should be able to advise you on a good local structural engineer to ensure that you comply with building regs.

Choosing a builder

If the architect is the head of the extension and you are the heart, the builder is the hands, so it is vital that you have a builder that you like and can trust. After all, you will be seeing a lot of them! Ask around, check out customer reviews for local builders, and get a few quotes. Different builders charge differently; it is increasingly common for builders to ask for weekly payments to accommodate changing prices of materials and pay for labour directly, rather than making an initial quote and sticking to it.

You may have fallen out of love with your home but with the right vision and the right people to help you achieve it, you may be able to rekindle that love and create your dream home. Follow us on Facebook or X for more inspiration.

Was this useful?

See more articles